You had me at BBQ...
When asked if I would like to help promote Nolan Ryan Beef in partnership with Kroger I gave a big “yeehaw” yes! Y’all know I love my meat sweats so I didn’t hesitate. Ha!
Kroger is partnering with Dallas Deli Merchandising who has teamed up with Nolan Ryan to host a series of in-store BBQ events! What better way to attract new customers than to entice them with the goods themselves! I attended the Prosper Kroger activation and witnessed far too many “oohs” and “awes” to keep track of. At the Nolan Ryan tent (located at the Kroger entrance) I visited with the team and bounteous number of new beef fans! I even entered for some stellar prizes and while I may not have won I still walked away knowing I have sing-handedly discovered the best beef.
Checkout our Gumbo recipe below!
- 1 1/2 lb Nolan Ryan sausage, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups frozen okra
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp creole seasoning
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- White rice, brown rice or quinoa. Scallions for garnish.
- 1) Heat oil in large stock pot. Whisk in flour until combined. Continue to cook stirring constantly until the roux reaches a dark brown color; roughly twenty minutes. (Careful not to burn or you will have to start over.)
- 2) When dark brown stir in bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic and okra until combined. Cook and stir every fifteen seconds for about ten minutes.
- 3) Stir in sausage, tomato and all seasonings until combined. Cook for an additional five minutes stirring occasionally.
- 4) Gradually stir in the stock and bay leaves.
- 5) Continue cooking until soup reaches boiling. Reduce heat to medium/low and let the gumbo simmer for ten minutes.
- 6) Serve over a bowl of hot rice or quinoa.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and a few dashes of Tabasco.
Nolan Ryan Beef Products:
- Nolan Ryan Sliced Smoked Brisket
- Nolan Ryan Chopped Brisket
- Nolan Ryan Smoked Sausage
- Nolan Ryan Smoked Brisket Sausage
- Nolan Ryan BBQ Sauce
- Pulled Pork
- FFM BBQ Ribs (Kroger)
- Baked Potato stuffed with chopped brisket, pulled pork or sausage
- Chopped Brisket Sandwich
- Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Sides – Black-eyed Peas, Collard Greens, Boston Baked Beans, Seasonal Vegetables, Sweet Potato Wedges
Find out where to purchase Nolan Ryan Beef in your area here!
hungry BBQ-ing, Dallas.